was built in 1765 on the site
of a previous building called Biddle's
Mill which dates back to 1540.
For most of Sarehole's life, it
a corn grinding mill but in the
early part of the 19th century,
used for blade grinding as well
as making flour. A steam engine
and engine house, which can be
seen, were added to supplement
waterpower in the 1850s and the
water wheel can be seen working.
Visitors to Sarehole Mill will
see an attractive group of buildings,
including a bakehouse, a metal
workshop, a granary and the mill
itself, all arranged around a cobbled
courtyard. Behind the mill is the
pool which receives its water from
nearby Coldbath Brook.
A range of teaching
sessions take place at Sarehole
Mill, covering topics such
levers and pulleys; Rivers
and Flour making.
Feel free to browse our extensive
range teaching and learning resources, especially
suited to pre-visit or follow-up
Cole Bank Road,
Book a Visit
To book a visit please contact the Learning Team on 0121 303 3890 or email Lorna.Harris@birmingham.gov.uk