Ralph de Somery set about rebuilding
Dudley Castle. Eventually the Barony
passed to Roger de Somery, and
then very swiftly to his son Roger
II. Roger II also managed to lose
his rights to Dudley Castle when
he refused to appear at Court to
accept a Knighthood. It may be
for this reason that he concentrated
his efforts on a building programme
of his second residence at Weoley.
However, for his support of King
Henry III during the Battle of
Lewes he received a royal licence
to crenellate (fortify) his manors
of Weoley and Dudley in 1264.
However, Roger II died shortly
after in 1273 and there is no mention
of a castle at Weoley upon his
death, so it seems unlikely that
building work had begun by then.
However, records show that the
fishpond, immediately to east of
the moat was in use by then, and
the manor house was also surrounded
by a large Deer park that covered
an area of around one thousand
acres. It was on this land that
the housing estate was constructed
in the 1930s.